|• Total||11.0 sq mi (28 km2)|
|• Land||11.0 sq mi (28 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|• Density||670/sq mi (260/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Galliano is a census-designated place on the Bayou Lafourche in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States. As of the 2000 census, the CDP population was 7,356. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Galliano is located at (29.448539, -90.307274).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 11.0 square miles (28 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,356 people, 2,599 households, and 2,032 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 669.7 people per square mile (258.7/km²). There were 2,753 housing units at an average density of 250.6 per square mile (96.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 92.33% White, 0.69% African American, 4.49% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 0.61% from other races, and 1.07% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.74% of the population.
There were 2,599 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.6% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.8% were non-families. 17.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $31,419, and the median income for a family was $36,136. Males had a median income of $35,283 versus $16,576 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $13,910. About 12.8% of families and 15.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.0% of those under age 18 and 21.1% of those age 65 or over.
The area was named by the late postmaster, Mr. Alzec Autin, who chose the name Galliano in honor of an original settler in the area formerly known as Côte Cheramie. Signor Antoine Galliano settled in the vicinity of Galliano in the late 1700s and had a large farm and a citrus tree orchard. He came from the Kingdom of Two Sicilies in the vicinity of Naples, Italy, where he was in the service of the King of Spain.
A popular local legend is that his wife, Julia, had no last name and was related closely to the King of Spain. Antoine Galliano or Galiano (Spanish spelling) had fallen in love with a lady of noble birth – probably a princess, since he was in the King's Guard. He and his wife were sent to Louisiana (New Spain) and settled in the area known now as Galliano. His descendants still live in the area and the name Galliano is spelled in the Italian style; but some descendants spell it Galiano in the Spanish tradition.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Galliano has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
Government and infrastructure
Lafourche Parish Public Schools operates public schools. Galliano Elementary School is in the community. Residents south of 17982 West Main and East 120 are instead zoned to Golden Meadow Lower Elementary and Golden Meadow Upper Elementary.
- Dick Guidry
- Teddy Roe, Chicago underworld figure
- Hal Martin, IndyCar driver
- Ed Orgeron, LSU football head coach
Bobby Herbert, NFL QB
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Galliano, Louisiana
- "Galliano." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on March 11, 2017. "17599 HIGHWAY 3235, GALLIANO, LA 70354-9998"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Galliano CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on February 7, 2018. Pages: 1, 2.
- Home. Galliano Elementary School. Retrieved on November 29, 2016. Physical address/visiting address: "148 W. 158th Street, Galliano"
- "SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES." Lafourche Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on December 2, 2016. See text descriptions.
- "Branch Locations and Contact." Lafourche Parish Library. Retrieved on November 28, 2018.
- Google maps: Pointe-aux-Chenes WMA- Retrieved 2018-09-11
- LDWF: Pointe-aux-Chenes WMA- Retrieved 2018-09-11